Platform are here to support you for all aspects of journey planning, and can provide schools with free rail-familiarisation experiences.
However, if you are a school looking to travel by train independently, here are some top tips!
- Find out the train operating company you are going to be travelling with, and make use of their group-booking facility.
- Prepare your students by carrying out a session on rail-safety before you travel. The Platform team would be delighted to come in and do this on your behalf, free of charge.
- Ensure you have hi-vis jackets for all of your students so they are easily visible at the station.
- Keep an eye on the train times so you can be prepared for any last-minute delays.
- Keep an eye on the platform number; it doesn’t happen often, but trains can sometimes come in at a different platform.
- Familiarise yourself with the stations on both sides of your journey in advance.
- Check the accessibility of the stations you are planning to use meet any access needs your students may have.
- Write a risk-assessment; if you need support with this, contact the Platform team for some guidance.
- Make sure your students have been well-prepped for embarking and disembarking.
- Most importantly…stay safe, and have fun! And, if in doubt, contact the Platform team!